Friday, April 22, 2011

Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS to Nintendo 64 Screenshot Comparison

I really wanted to see the differences between the original Ocarina of Time for N64 and the new one for 3DS with improved graphics. I searched on YouTube and only found one or two videos, so I decided to go hunting for screenshots and make my own. No, not a video... I don't have time for that... but I DID find pictures.

I stole the screenshots from various websites. You can see the logos in the corner of some, and others I cut off to make the sizes fit. I put a LOT of work into this... despite how easy it may sound, finding matching screenshots is hard.

Here's the first one. You'll probably need to click to view the thing full size.





This is of Link and Saria... obviously. Ugh. When you compare them side-by-side... I don't like original Link. XD It's just... OoT 3DS Link is soooooooo cute! Or as my sis would say... kawaii! :P And the fairies - they're sort of cut off in the 3DS picture, but you can still tell from both this and in later pictures that they're a little different. Again, 3DS graphics pwn N64 ones. I love Navi's appearance now. Just too awesome. One thing I'm curious about, though: will Navi still say "Hey, Listen!" in the 3DS version? I wonder... I mean, on one side, I'd be SO annoyed by that, but then again, I just don't think Ocarina of Time will be the same without it!



Now for the next picture.








This one... Link and Ganondorf. They're slightly different... but it's HARD to find matching pictures online, okay!? If I could figure out how to take my own screenshots, this would be a LOT closer... XD Anyway. With this one... again, I'm marveling at how much the graphics have changed. Perhaps it's just the picture quality, but the 3DS graphics look a LOT more cheerfully bright. I suppose it's not supposed to look that way, considering it's an encounter with the villain of the game, but whatever. Frankly, I like it that way.

Next...


This depicts Link pulling out the Master Sword. For some reason, the walls of the Temple of Time look a lot more detailed in the Nintendo 64 version, but Link is definitely much better in the 3DS. Why is that?

Well, good news is that I heard in the 3DS, the Temple of Time will actually have a CEILING now! Can you believe it? ;) Of course, that's just what I read somewhere - a comment on Zelda Dungeon. It's not exactly a reputable source, but I figured I'd let you know anyway.

WOW. HUGE difference here! Just LOOK at the backgrounds! Now, I'm sure that they're in different positions, and that's why the backgrounds are so dramatically different, but still - that's incredible! The trees ACTUALLY look like TREES on the 3DS version! Plus, it gives us a great view of Link: the perfect chance to see just how much he's changed. But... geez. I STILL can't get over how beautiful that 3DS background is.

I also apologize for the poor quality of the N64 picture. O_o
This one is when Link obtains the Kokiri Sword! Yes, now after viewing so many screenshots, I'm thoroughly convinced that the 3DS will be brighter than the N64 version. And Link's expression - it reminds me of Twilight Princess Link. TP Link always reacted to the items he received (a fact I really liked - I never get over the look on his face when he picks up Ooccoo XD). It looks like they're carrying on this idea to OoT 3DS. When reading the comments on Zelda Dungeon, however, most people disliked Link's hands. And now that I look at them? They are a little weird...
Here! Zelda, fleeing Castle Town on a white horse with Impa. Sorry for the TERRIBLE quality of the first picture, but I could not find a better one. Even though the positions of Zelda in both pictures are different, you can still kind of see the difference - or lack thereof. Honestly, Zelda didn't change much. Perhaps she looks a bit less polygonal, but sitll. I think she deserved more than that, considering the HUGE changes they made to Link.

Oh, well. I'm still INSANELY excited for Ocarina of Time 3D. Even though I still don't have a 3DS system yet. XD

Hope you enjoyed this post! I certainly sounded more professional this time, didn't I? I wasn't my crazy, outgoing self at all...




Have a great Easter weekend! Even if you don't celebrate Easter. ;)

4 comments:

  1. easter was amazing.

    To answer your question about how I found ponies, I just happen to be a frequenter on 4chan's /co/ board.

    Some person found it, and a massive following started. I'm proud to say I am one of the original five!

    And yes, Pinkie pie and Fluttershy are both amazing ponies. I personally like Pinkie Pie better, but I really do like all of them XD

    If you do end up loving the show, I suggest you check out the fan site ponychan. There's a link to it at mythicwritings, so I won't post it here. Also for the amazing stories I was talking about, an archive can be found at another link on MW.

    PEACE OUT!

    >god I just can't wait for LoZ:OoT3D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, no matter what better graphics there are in OoT 3D, I still prefer the original by a LONG shot. Bigger screen, plus it's the original game. The remake is still okay, but I prefer the original. Especially in Castle Town, I think they messed up the look there SOOOOOOO much. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous is 100% right. I HAAAAAAATE the 3DS version, even the graphics on nintendo 64 is better (Personal preference). I don't like the pictures in so much detail & focus, as represented by the 3DS version :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just look at the horse differences in the last one XD
    I myself am a fan of the N64 version

    ReplyDelete