Sunday, May 22, 2011

Legend of Zelda Fan Fiction Recommendations

(UPDATE 9/30/13: This post is very old. I wasn't as experienced in fanfiction back then, and my tastes have changed. If you want a far larger and better list of recommendations, please check out the new and improved one here!)

Hey, look! Another fan fiction post from me. However, this time, I'm going to post some links to the stories. I will no longer include the Sacred Realm ones, however - to look at my previous recommendations, click here. Otherwise, read on. The orders have changed for a lot of those anyway. Some aren't even included anymore.

First off, before I start praising other authors... let's look at myself. My username (or penname, as I believe they call it) is TwilightWakerofTime. By clicking that link, you can go to my profile. And - oh, lookie! "Author has written 1 story for Legend of Zelda."

Yep. That's true. And I forgot to post about it on here when I did it. Silly me!

So instead of copying and pasting the whole thing from my word document, I'm going to let you read it on the site. It's called Musings. I wouldn't actually suggest it, though, if it wasn't my own story, lol. It's a Zelink fic that's... pretty stupid, honestly... it has no plot, as I do not hesitate to explain in my author's notes at the beginning there... Oh, well. You can go ahead and read it anyway. The only thing I ask for is that you review. Even if you hate it.

Now! For the recommendations...

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Return and Reconciliation by Rose Zemlya. I suggested these last time, right? Right? I think they were my second pick. Well, now they're first, no doubt about it. I've recently reread them - actually, I'm in the process of rereading Reconciliation - and they just never cease to amaze me. They make me laugh, and yet the plot is just... incredible. So if you're looking for a good read, check out these two stories. Reconciliation is a sequel to The Return, though, so it makes more sense to read that one first. I can honestly say that they're my favorite fan fictions, if not my favorite pieces of literature ever.

2. A VERY hard choice... but... Free as the Wind by S.R.H. Fade. It combines Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker into one amazing adventure with very unique personalities for each Link. In other words... OoT Link and TP Link get transported to TWW Link's world and try to help him along on his quest. I read it longer ago than The Return and Reconciliation, but I still know I enjoyed it. They gave OoT and TP Link nicknames - Reoh and Emit. I understood where Emit came from, considering it's Ocarina of TIME Link (spell it backwards if you don't get it) but Reoh took me a while... until I read TP Link's reaction to it. ...It's Hero, if you don't get it... XD Anyway, they made TP Link the reluctant Hero and OoT the serious, dutiful one. It's very entertaining. :P And it has a great plot, too.

3. Hit List by zestycrouton, I guess. It's one of those weird high school fics where they put every character into a... high school... XD I usually don't like these - at least now I don't... but back then I was still pretty new to the site and I just decided to try it out. And OMG I WAS AMAZED. It starts off a bit slow, but it picks up quickly. It only gets better when legends and the Triforce becomes involved in a modern Hyrule. Just... wow. And it doesn't only focus on Link and Zelda and Ganondorf, either - there's all sorts of characters, from all sorts of different Zelda games in there. Every single character in the story is based off of a Legend of Zelda character. That's just another part of what makes it so awesome.

4. Why You Should Never Travel With Foreigners by LittleBlueNayru. THIS. STORY. IS. SO. FUNNY! ...Sadly, I think it's discontinued. Oh, and there's a lot of swearing, just to warn you, but it's so hilarious, I can ignore it... Basically, it plays on the idea of Midna's crazy voiceovers and how nonsensical they are. Yep.

5. Hero of Wolves and Shadow Kingdom by The Wolfess. I mentioned this one last time, too. It was the first story I read on that site and was totally, completely, utterly stunned by. And I still love it. Now Hero of Wolves has its sequel: Shadow Kingdom.

6. Rend and Avilux Ignis and other stories by fleets. Fleets is epic. :D I don't know him/her very well... look, I didn't even know if they're a he or a she! But they're still epic. Because they write epic stories. XD Their story Rend is the second story I ever left a review on (if I'm remembering correctly) and their stories are still the only ones I actually bothering reviewing constantly. Most of the time, I'll just leave a long paragraph review and say "YOU'RE SOOOO COOL I LOVE YOU" and then just keep reading silently, but no. This story... I keep clicking that review button at the bottom. Even when I'm using a stupid, impossible-to-type-on DSi. They really like Vaati - all their stories have him as a main character. All his/her stories are amazing, so go ahead and read them. The only one you shouldn't read is... Recollections. SERIOUSLY! DON'T READ IT! IT'S SO FREAKING SAD!!!! Unless you WANT to cry... don't read it...

7. Bright as Night by Allendra. It's only got five chapters at the moment and already it's on my top ten list. That's GOT to mean something...

8. Zelda: A Fairytale and The Mystical Ocarina by Sakurelle. I mentioned Zelda: A Fairytale last time - it was my number one then. Not anymore. But it was still pretty good. I still love fairytales. :) This time I'm going to add The Mystical Ocarina to the list. It's based on Aladdin and it was really good, too.

9. Sacred Reliquary by Sharper Than the Sword. Similar to Hit List, every character in this story is from a Zelda game, though their personalities are VERY different. No, really. Just look at Zelda in this story. She's... insane... at best. :P

10. Seven Swords Saga, its sequel, and other various oneshots by Royazali. These stories are so funny! Royazali is the awesome person who helped me find the eighth dungeon on Legend of Zelda when I reviewed. You have to know a LOT about the Zelda series to understand some of the jokes. I wish it had more reviews. The only problem with it (thus putting it at the bottom of this list) is that it had quite a few grammar mistakes. He/She (still not sure which) tends to not put apostrophes in his/her contractions! *gasp*

And... that's my top ten list! There's plenty of other epic fan fictions out there - you can view some other great stories on my favorites list. But for now, that's all I'll put.

...I really need some adjectives besides "epic", "amazing", and "awesome"...

No comments:

Post a Comment